Two COVID-19-related deaths reported in Mingo

Mingo County’s death toll due to COVID-19 has risen by two.

According to the Mingo County Health Department, two Mingo County residents died Thursday as a result of the disease caused by the novel coronavirus. The new deaths raise Mingo’s death toll due to COVID-19 to five people, including three in just the past four days.

According to the health department, one of the victims was a 73-year-old man who died at Tug Valley ARH Regional Medical Center in South Williamson, Kentucky. The man was first reported as being positive for COVID-19 on July 31, the health department says.

The other victim identified on Thursday was a 66-year-old man who died while hospitalized at Logan Regional Medical Center in Logan. The patient, the health department says, was first reported as being positive for COVID-19 on July 30.

According to the health department, a 43-year-old man died on Monday as a result of COVID-19.

Mingo County experienced its first COVID-19-related death on April 15 and its second nearly two months later on June 12.

The Mingo County Health Department also announced on Thursday that four new positive cases of COVID-19 had been confirmed in the county. Those included the following:

• 12-year-old male with no symptoms
• 73-year-old female with no symptoms
• 71-year-old female with no symptoms
• 26-year-old female unknown symptoms

As of 4 p.m. Thursday, Mingo County’s total COVID-19 case count stood at 178 total cases. The health department says 2,929 people had been tested for COVID-19 in the county. Of the positive cases, 103 remain active with 70 patients having recovered from the disease. The health department says three patients were on ventilators as of Thursday afternoon.