Power crews made substantial progress on widespread power outages over the past day.
From a high of more than 38,000 customers without power in the Mountain Top News coverage area on Tuesday, more than 12,000 had power restored by Wednesday morning, leaving just shy of 26,000 still waiting.
Central Appalachia was covered in freezing rain Sunday and Monday, bringing power lines down as trees buckled under the weight of their ice coatings.
But while crews are working 18-hour days in an attempt to restore service as quickly as possible, utility officials say some customers could be waiting up to two weeks for power to return.
Lawrence County remains especially hard-hit. Out of more than 8,300 customers served by either Kentucky Power or Big Sandy RECC, only 340 currently have power. That’s up from 110 on Tuesday.
And that’s before another round of freezing rain is expected to move through the region Wednesday night.
As of 10 a.m. Wednesday, current outages include:
- Breathitt County, 1,101 of 5,119
- Floyd County, 1,231 of 14,748
- Johnson County, 2,529 of 7,060
- Knott County, 366 of 7,744
- Lawrence County, 7,429 of 7,678
- Leslie County, 1,454 of 5,249
- Letcher County, 30 of 11,146
- Magoffin County, 2,017 of 3,030
- Martin County, 866 of 4,661
- Perry County, 1,275 of 14,553
- Pike County, 134 of 32,261
Big Sandy RECC
- Breathitt County, 11 of 13
- Floyd County, 2,600 of 6,436
- Johnson County, 2,900 of 6,069
- Knott County, 176 of 369
- Lawrence County, 531 of 642
- Martin County, 812 of 936
- Buchanan County, Va., <5 of 12,489
- Dickenson County, Va., <5 of 8,618
- Wise County, Va., 0 of 3,232
- Logan County, W.Va., 66 of 17,666
- Mingo County, W.Va., 289 of 13,655
You can find updated outage information on the following websites:
- Kentucky Power — http://outagemap.kentuckypower.com.s3.amazonaws.com/external/default.html
- Big Sandy RECC — http://outagemap.bigsandyrecc.com/
- Appalachian Power — http://outagemap.appalachianpower.com.s3.amazonaws.com/external/default.html
- Licking Valley RECC — https://ebill.lvrecc.com/maps/OutageWebMap/.